Give Back, Serve!
“We rise by lifting others”
This is the third element of our three-part mission, part of the glue that holds the mission together. The desire to give back to the community motivates people to come together to volunteer – they exercise creativity, they have fun, and they do all that in the spirit of giving, so in the end their effort helps others in need.
This mindset of caring, of giving, allows us to focus our support for organizations and charities which do excellent work but do not have extensive fund raising capabilities.
Our Charitable Giving Committee reviews potential organizations and makes recommendations to the board. This review and selection uses criteria such as the area we wish to focus on, the project’s impact on the community, and the beneficiary organization’s reputation and track record in terms of its charitable work.
Since its inception in 2005, thinkIndia Foundation has donated over $ 300,000 to various charitable projects in the US and abroad
2019 Grants – Beneficiaries
In the USA:
- Hearts of Maya, Dallas, Texas (providing educational scholarships to youth in financial need who demonstrate a desire to pursue music, acting and/or dance)
- SEWA International USA, Dallas Chapter, Dallas, Texas (supporting empowerment and scholarships of Bhutanese refugees in DFW)
- Area Public Libraries, in DFW Texas, (curated collection of books reflecting Indian cultural heritage)
Area schoolteachers’ project requests for music and art related programs for children in their classes (through DonorsChoose.org)
- Think Peace, Andhra Pradesh, India (supporting initiatives to enhance the lives of tribal folk in Araku Valley)
Grants Prior to 2019 – Beneficiaries
In the USA
- Alley’s House, Dallas, Texas (Serving the needs of teenage pregnant mothers)
- Any Baby Can, Austin, Texas (crisis management for families with critically ill or disabled children from the ages of zero to twelve)
- Chetna, Dallas, Texas (Empowering South Asians affected by domestic violence)
- City House Homeless Children’s Shelter, Plano, Texas (Providing homeless children and teens in North Texas with emergency shelter and transitional residential services)
- Hurricane Katrina Relief, USA
- My Friends House, Plano, Texas, USA (Children’s Shelter)
- Primary Care Clinic of North Texas, Dallas, Texas (Serving the needs of the uninsured low income population in the Dallas/Fort Worth area)
- Raintree Family & Children Services, Louisiana, USA (Katrina relief help to Louisiana)
- Adarsh Charitable Trust, Kerala, India (Supporting autistic children; project for building additional classrooms and a library in the school).
- Amar Seva Sangam, Aayakudi, Tamil Nadu, India (Aids physically handicapped children)
- Anbalaya Trust, Ramanathapuram District, Tamil Nadu, India (Serving mentally retarded children)
- Andhjan Kalyan Trust, District Rajkot, Gujarat, India (Support of blind, deaf and mentally disabled persons through establishment of a computer training center; purchase of a braille printer)
- ASHA Tsunami Relief, Chennai, India (Relief packages to affected children)
- Ashwini, P.O.Box 20, Gudalur, India 643212 (Support for the work on the building construction and purchase of X-Ray equipment for Gudalur Adivasi Hospital, Tamil Nadu, India)
- Bachpan Bachao Andolan, India (Education Center for released bonded children – liberating children from slavery)
- Daksh, India (Organized by the Rajathan Mahila Kalya Mandal, serving the needs of autistic children)
- Earthquake relief for India and Pakistan
- Gandhian Organization for Rural Development (Computer education for underprivileged children)
- J K Maass Foundation, Madurai, India (Support for the welfare and rehabilitation of disabled children; specific project for the purchase of a vehicle for the transport of disabled children)
- Jan Swasthya Sahyog, Bilaspur, Chattisgarh, India (Serving rural development and medical needs of rural India — Blood Storage Unit building renovation; purchase of refrigerator, microscope, portable x-ray machine, monitor defibrillator)
- Rajasthan Mahila Kalyan Mandal, Rajasthan, India (Vocational Training program for mentally challenged children)
- Relief Organization for the Handicapped, Hindupur, Andhra Pradesh, India (Hearing aids and speech therapy for disabled children)
- Samadhan, New Delhi, India (Early Intervention for mentally disabled infants; project was to provide creative care by the purchase of a van). They were funded through our donation to GlobalGiving Foundation, USA, a 501 (c) (3) organization.
- Sangeetham, Tamil Nadu (Serving the disabled, mentally retarded and underprivileged children)Spastics Society of Karnataka, Bangalore, Karnataka, India (Help for autistic children)
- Swayam Krishi Sangam (SKS), Andhra Pradesh, India (Subsidies for asset acquisition and healthcare costs for ultra-poor members)
- V-Excel Educational Trust, Chennai, India (Support for the practical, educational and vocational skills of mentally and developmentally challenged children)