” Just as the wave cannot exist for itself, but is ever a part of the heaving surface of the ocean, so must I never live my life for itself, but always in the experience which is going on around me.”
Fostering community involvement in our creative projects is another of the three key elements in our mission.
To that end, we find ways to bring the community together in different ways in our projects, for example:
- Theatrical Productions
- Volunteering to be part of the production (performing, backstage, other offstage activities)
- Learning a new skill like carpentry as part of the set building team
- Showcasing Local Talent
- For U By U, an annual event in which members of the community present their talent through their performances
- Service Projects
- Sewing bags for distribution to the homeless
- Participating in community activities.
- Partnerships & Collaboration with other organizations
- Mainstage Theatre of Irving Las Colinas
- Irving Arts Center
- Area public libraries
- School Districts and City Museums
Our activities are entirely on a volunteer basis. Since most of our volunteers are full-time professionals with jobs outside of the activities for this organization, they devote time outside of their workday for all aspects of our projects..
We feel it is a privilege to connect with those around us – and it is the right thing to do! Given the power of the arts to unite people and communities, we find it exciting and energizing to use creativity and the arts as the medium for community involvement. Many of our board members joined the board after they participated in our activities!
Examples of community involvement activities
- thinkIndia Choir was a group of gifted artistes participating as a group in community events – this group won the first place in the Texas Herald competition and donated the prize money to the foundation’s charitable activities.
- Click for Success involved volunteers working with the city’s program for “cleaning up” laptops provided to schoolchildren and reloading software on them.
- Music Performances: Singers and musicians performed at the DFW International “Best of Dallas” programs, and at other venues in the metroplex, promoting harmony and underscoring the value of diversity.
- Dance Performances: Dancers performed at various schools and other organizations as well as at the DFW International annual programs.
- Community Events: Participated in various events such as the City of Dallas “Discover India” Festival and the India Association of North Texas Anand Bazaar
- Change for the Better: Collected loose change from willing donors to help children in need.
- Project Bags: Volunteers purchased fabrics and sewed carry-all bags for the homeless and distributed these bags, working with the City of Dallas.
- Cards-n-Crafts: Volunteers designed, procured materials and made handmade greeting cards and handicraft items, proceeds from the sale of which were donated for charitable causes.
- Utsav: Volunteers presented an evening of music and songs for a community dance program, along with a bazaar featuring various handicraft items and cards – again, all proceeds were donated to charitable causes.